Tuesday, September 18, 2012

13.1 miles

My first morning run!! 6am!!!
Rock N Roll Course! Blue is the half marathon!! Can you imagine doing the red course?!
NO WAY JOSE!

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!!!! My dear friend, Amanda, talked me in to doing a HALF marathon with her in January! She has done this marathon before and said it was an amazing experience. I haven't always understood the whole marathon thing. I don't get just running around! In the past couple of years though I have seen friends do different marathons and mud runs that look like a total blast. I have been curious what it's really all about and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it. I want to feel that. Amanda is a great support and this will be a great bonding time for us.

Now why didn't I start with a 5K or even a 10K instead of a 13.1 mile half marathon?? I am crazy I guess!! I am SO nervous and freaked out about the current state of my body and how far this course is that it is giving me the motivation to really get out and start working on myself. I haven't worked out consistently since I was a teenager and having 2 kids really shows now. I have gained 20lbs since having Claire (10lbs with each kid) and although I am proud of my body for carrying my girls, I don't love it anymore. I am tall and skinny and all my weight goes to my middle and butt which is easy to cover up. Skinny arms, legs, and face give the illusion that I am in great shape but I ain't!! It's time to get my body back to a good place. I can't promise to lose 20lbs because I don't feel like I need to look like I did at 29 but I do want to feel good overall. I know some of my friends shake their heads at my "out of shape" comments but I hide it well. I plan to take pictures of my body now and my body in January so that the proof is there. I don't want to set myself up for failure so I am keeping my goals realistic for now. I really really hope I can do this!!!

If any of my friends (Kelly???) are as crazy as I am sign up here:

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/arizona

1 comment:

Kelly said...

UMMMMMM, YOU are CRAY CRAY!!! :) I have to say that doing a race IS an amazing feeling (I did that sprint triathlon 3 years ago) but holy crap, when it was over I vowed to never do it again! Lol It was a major challenge! My sis ran the Disney half marathon last year and said it was an incredible feeling of accomplishment. You go girl! I will think about it....