Monday, May 23, 2011

Research


Loving this book!! I am reading it and re-reading it because it is helping so much. It's just so well written. I really dislike putting labels on my kid but you have to go with it or how else would you know which book to read. Claire is very strong willed {so am i...shocking!} and that may sound like a bad thing but she's strong in so many good ways. She is so very very smart. She is clever. She is always always in on the joke. She just gets it and boy can she come up with some "stuff".

What I realized from reading this book is that I have to tell her exactly what my expectations are and if they aren't met then logical consequences will follow EVERY TIME. Right then, right there. Seems so easy right? So basic. Well, it ain't so easy when you have a child who likes to test the boundaries constantly. I respect that about her though. She is an aggressive researcher with everything she learns! I also realized that it's me, the parent, that isn't setting the tone. It's not just my 3 yr old who is acting out, it's me too. I am passive one minute with hollow threats and punitive the next when I have had it up to my eyeballs. Talk about mixed signals! No, this book hasn't made me the perfect mom and Claire doesn't listen to me 100% of the time but it's really helping and I see a change. She knows that I will give her better instructions and that I will follow through with what I say. We are building on that respect. She is teaching me so much.

I just love her.

~getting her boogy on~

No comments: