Saturday, February 19, 2011

Roller Coaster

WOW!! The past 3 days have been a big roller coaster. I have never been induced before and I think I had a different impression of the whole experience. I knew I could be sent home but I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case of course but the reasons were legit and we came home Thursday. The main reason was that my body over reacted to the gel in my cervix. Fast contractions and no progress. Hyper stimulation! The second reason was my blood count for my platelets was 91K and the cutoff for most anesthesiologist is 100K. I had been told by several OB's and nurses that most docs are cool with 90 and up so I was hopeful. That was not the case on Thursday. 5 docs said no! So besides the meds being a bit much for me the epidural wasn't coming either! No thanks!!! We are trying the induction again tomorrow though. If my platelets are better then I will go forward. If not then I may walk away again because at this point I am too close to my due date and she will come eventually! My OB had the best of intentions wanting to induce me. She hoped my counts would be good. She hoped the docs would take my platelets in the 90's. At the end of the day though this is still elective with my platelet count. 50K and under would be a different story!

My OB also thought as a last ditch effort for Sunday's induction that I could take a quick round of steroids for my platelets. Sometimes steroids help but usually aren't given until the #'s drop way below what mine are. Again though...she wants to help me to have the pain control option of my choice. I want that too! I took the steroids last night and for the past 24 hours I have been wacked out. It's too hard on me. The dose is crazy high since labor is soon. It's too hard on my mental state. The side effects suck!! I felt like I was on speed. I had a breakdown in Wal Mart for crying out loud over my mom asking me which carrots we should buy! I have decided to not take them again today. It's hard to say no to a med that could get me the epidural possibly but going into labor with these side effect....can't sleep, heart palpitations, anxiety like crazy...it's not good either. My doc said which one would I hate more....no epidural or side effects from the meds. Tough question at this point because today I have felt nothing but terrible. My gut says put the meds down and what will happen will happen. Am I happy or prepared for natural childbirth...NO...but I am strong and I will get through this.

It won't be long now. I wasn't easy getting pregnant this time and it hasn't been easy preparing for the end either but it's happening. I want her. I am ready but I will be patient. God has a plan. Sometimes He breaks us to make us!

The next update will be pictures and smiles I hope!! =)

1 comment:

Jill Carilli said...

WOW Kristen. I am sorry you are going through this, but I think you are great to listen to your body and do what is best for you. I hope you are able to get the epidural, but if not, you will be amazing. I am just sorry you didn't have more time to prepare for it. Hopefully it is fast and easy. Hang in there. xo