Friday, May 25, 2012

The next chapter


I can't believe it's already the last day of school. I will certainly cry at "graduation" today! The last 3 years at Carebear Preschool have been overall so amazing. Claire has had great teachers and friends. I have made some amazing friends as well. She has learned so much that I can't even wrap my brain around some of the stuff she knows! I am just so proud! It is totally bittersweet.

Back in January after a LOT of debate, we decided to let Claire test in to kindergarten early. As anyone close to me knows, I was totally opposed to the idea of testing her in early. I wasn't comfortable with her being the youngest. Eric, on the other hand, was comfortable with letting her test in early. After a couple of teachers at school told me stay open to the idea of putting her in school next year I started researching both sides. I found great pros and cons for both. I agonized and obsessed (any of my friends will tell you they wanted to kill me because it was all I could think about).  I have no doubt the advantages that being older can bring but I can't promise that being older will make her a leader, better at math, great in sports, or more mature. I can only hope that she will be herself and be happy. We will take it day by day. Year by year. There isn't a crystal ball to help parents make all the right choices. We just have to do what we feel is best for our child and I really get that now. I feel so happy for Claire going to kindergarten next year. She passed her KRT (Kindergarten Readiness Test) and is all registered for school.

Yep, I am totally going to cry today and I will cry when I drop her off July 23 for school. Not because I want to keep her home with me another year but because I am happy for her. It is bittersweet for any mother. The end of one chapter and the beginning of another.

No comments: