Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The pendulum


I remember reading in baby/toddler books that kiddos go through short phases where they like mommy better or sometimes they prefer daddy. In our house the pendulum swung Daddy's way....oh....about 3 years ago and it has yet to swing back my direction. Claire and I have our fun moments of course but when she was a baby I was the only one that could make her laugh. Now, she is a Daddy's girl. The two of them could just bathe in their eternal happiness all day together.

Now there is Paige. She is mine. All mine! I am a bit of a baby hoarder when it comes to her. However, the other day I left Paige alone with Daddy while I took Claire swimming. Eric has never called me asking for help (never ever in 3.5yrs) but after a few hours of being gone Paigers got tired and fussy. She cried and screamed (plus her reflux is very bad right now). He didn't know what to do anymore. Luckily, we needed to pack up and head home so Claire and I went to rescue Dad and Paige. She was STILL crying when I got home but when she saw me she smiled and cried and smiled and hyperventilated for 20 more minutes out of exhaustion. She fell asleep in my arms. I have to say it was nice to be the "hero" for a change. Claire even wanted me to read her a book and tuck her in instead of Daddy. Mommy was the big winner. I don't want to not be able to leave the house because Paige only wants me but I know this isn't true because Eric has watched both girls several times alone. She just didn't feel good and he didn't have the right touch (he told me later he was walking her around upright over his shoulder and telling me how tired she was...hello, do you sleep standing up. just sayin'. oh dads!). It was still nice though to have the pendulum swing back my way if only for a minute.

The next morning Claire was back to being a Daddy's girl and barely looked at me over breakfast. Paige, well, she's still my girl but once she gets a real taste of how fun her daddy is then I may have a run for my money. Claire says Paige is "her girl" so maybe the pendulum has a new swing!

1 comment:

Jill Carilli said...

Such a cute post :) I have a very special close relationship with my younger one too. xo